- Drink Recipe: Turmeric Ginger Lemonade
- Skincare Recipe: Turmeric Face Mask
- Food Recipe: Tumeric Scrambled Tofu Toast
Turmeric is a plant of the ginger family, it is very commonly used in Indian food and Ayurveda for over 3000 years. It is also known as “Haldi” in Hindi and “Jiang Huang” in TCM (Traditional Chinese Medicine), it is an inflammatory, antimicrobial, and antioxidant herb. Turmeric’s bright color and most beneficial attributes come from the component Curcumin in it. It is said that Curcumin is a great remedy for indigestion, anxiety, and other inflammatory conditions. Pro tip! Consuming Curcumin with black pepper makes it easier to digest.
My favorite childhood memory with Haldi is actually during Indian weddings. In a traditional Indian wedding, there is a Haldi ceremony where the bride and the groom are given a holy bath with the paste of Haldi and milk. On the surface, it’s supposed to brighten their skin but I found out that there was a spiritual message to it. Some people said it was to let go of everything in the past and start a new life whereas some believed it to be the purification of the heart and being cleansed by Haldi both inside and out. I was very intrigued by this idea of not only how a ceremony can have such depth but also how a plant can purify you. So, what is the purification of the heart? How can you let go of everything in the past and start anew? How can applying an external paste reach a person’s soul? I am still looking for answers but if you have any thoughts, please share with us in the comments below!
This herb can be used in our day-to-day life, from drinks, food, and even skincare! Below are three of my favorite turmeric recipes, so open your kitchen rack, find your Haldi, and let’s get started.
1. Drink Recipe: Turmeric Ginger Lemonade
Many people recommend having healthy drinks in the morning, and obviously, there is a lot of talk about how drinking turmeric in the morning is amazing for the gut. I love drinking lukewarm water with a pinch of turmeric and black pepper in it. It wakes up my stomach and is inflammatory, antimicrobial which helps boost the metabolism and digestive system of our body.
With this delicious turmeric lemonade recipe, you can reap all the benefits your gut needs in the morning!
- 2 cups of water
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1/4 slice of ginger
- 1 whole lemon
- Sweetner (your choice of sugar, date syrup, or honey – according to taste)
- Mint to garnish
- Add 2 cups of water in a pan and let it boil.
- While it’s boiling, add 1 tsp of turmeric (fresh or ground) and sliced ginger.
- Let it cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add your choice of sweetner and juice of one lemon in a jar.
- Pour the turmeric ginger decoction in the jar and mix it well.
- Add ice to it until you get the desired temperature.
- Yay! The drink is ready to pour into our glasses, add mint as garnish and enjoy.
2. Skincare Recipe: Turmeric Face Mask
- In a small mixing bowl, and 2 tbsp of turmeric.
- Add 1 tbsp of honey and 1 tbsp of milk (whole milk preferred).
- Mix until it becomes a smooth paste.
- Gently apply it on your face with your fingers or a brush.
- Let it soak in until it becomes dry, which is aound 15-20 minutes.
- Gently pat it with warm water and start scrubbing it off.
- Once it’s all clean, finish off with your favorite face cream
- If you’re going out, don’t forget sunscreen 🙂
3. Food Recipe: Tumeric Scrambled Tofu Toast
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tsp olive oil or ghee
- 1 block silken tofu
- 1/2 an onion
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 tsp cumin
- Coriander to garnish
- Black pepper
- Place pan over medium heat, then add olive oil.
- When the oil is hot, add cumin and let it splutter as it cooks.
- Now, add finely chopped garlic and onion.
- Cook until the onion turns golden brown.
- It’s time to add the shining golden turmeric powder to the mix.
- Stir it well.
- Add the soft tofu and scramble it into smaller pieces.
- Sprinkle salt and black pepper to the tofu and cover to cook for 5-8 minutes.
- Add coriander to garnish.
- Voila, our amazing turmeric scambled tofu is ready now.
- It’s time to toast our bread.
- Top the toast with the scambled tofu and it’s ready to eat.
Hope you’re as excited to try these recipes as I was sharing them! Please let us know how it went in the comments below or on IG @beautywithinofficial <3
Shop all of our curated faves at: https://bwth.in/shop
Subscribe to our YouTube Channel for more information and product recommendations: https://bwth.in/subscribe