How do you take care of your hair at home? Since I was a kid, my mom used homemade Ayurvedic hair care treatments on me but I did not like it since it smells weird and I wanted my hair to smell amazing just like everybody else at school. Only after I grew up did I realize how much effort she put into taking care of us in a very holistic way and started to miss it, so I asked her to share with me all the recipes she made when we were little. I still use the hair care recipes I learned from her and here I’ll be sharing two of my go-to recipes that I always depend on for shinier and softer hair.
Before we dive in, I find it important to understand that self-care of any kind starts from within. So first and foremost, don’t forget to keep yourself happy and take care of your mental wellness since excess stress can actually lead to hair loss!
anything that costs you your peace is too expensive, learn to let it go.Anonymous
Whenever I start worrying over something, I stop and remind myself that if I lose my composure, I won’t be able to handle any situation well. Then I take a deep breath and look within to find the root cause of my emotions. As I gain clarity of mind, I can shed any negative notions I have rather than my precious strands of hair.
1. Hair Oil
As the weather changes, so does my hair care routine. With temperatures dropping, my scalp tends to get drier so I apply hair oil twice a month to nourish my hair and prevent any flakiness. Hair oil is a big part of Ayurvedic treatments and has been used for centuries in almost every household and it only needs one ingredient.
However you show tender love and care for your face, you should also show for your scalp. Even though it’s not as visible as your face, it is vital to your overall hair quality. I normally use coconut oil for my hair oil but you can also use many other types of hair oil including olive, almond, and argan.
For medium to long hair
- Combine coconut oil and castor oil in a bowl (use a microwave-safe one)
- Add in the cloves
- Warming it up helps it soaks in your hair better, so microwave it for 30 seconds
- Cool off a bit until it’s not too hot to touch and apply it in your hair by massaging it in
- Leave it in for 1-2 hours or overnight
- Wash it off with a shampoo (might take 2-3 times to clean out all the oil)
- Nourishes scalp
- Strengthens hair
- Prevent dandruff
- Promote hair growth
- Brighter and shinier hair
- High amounts of antioxidants, calcium, iron, vitamin A and C
- Anti-fungal, anti-microbial properties
- Reduces hair loss
- Enriches scalp health
2. Egg Hair Mask
- Whisk eggs in a bowl
- Combine with yogurt
- Mix until smooth
- Add honey and oil
- Mix well and apply throughout your hair from roots to tips
- Leave it on for 10-15 min
- Rinse off with a baby shampoo or any other regular shampoo
- A source of protein, which strengthens hair follicles
- Contain folate, and other minerals, that stimulate hair growth and prevent hair loss
- Egg whites: recommended for oily hair since it contains properties that help remove excess oil
- Egg yolks: recommended for dry to normal hair since it has emollient properties that provides added moisture
- Helps soften your hair
- Strengthens hair color and prevents premature graying
Give this a go and let us know how it went in the comments below. Was it a hassle or totally worth it? 🙂
Shop all of our curated faves at: https://bwth.in/shop
Subscribe to our YouTube Channel for more information and product recommendations: https://bwth.in/subscribe